Friday, May 26, 2017

Snippet Time! Check out #02 From Night of the Unicorn

<Unedited>


Did you know about the existence of the World Council?”

Ana’s head jerked in my direction. She stared at me for what seemed like half a minute before answering. “That is … We are not…” She stopped. Shaking her head she smiled at me. “Some secrets are very hard to speak of. Yes, I know of the World Council. Its existence is one of the last great mysteries of our world. The humans either don’t know of it or don’t believe in it. How did you learn of it?”

“Grandmother. She told me she is the leader of the Council. It’s why the Witches Council is afraid of her.”

“That explains a few things. The former Director wondered how she had gotten so powerful. I did try and explain to him about Witches and lineage but, well, you remember how dense he was.” Ana shook her head.

“Yes. He did look pretty funny just hanging up in the air like that though. Grandmother didn’t go into very much detail but she did say it was made up of all the races native to this world. What does that mean exactly? Can you tell me?” I had a great deal of questions but grandmother only told me the basics.

Squinting Anastasia leaned back in her chair and rubbed her forehead. “You are of age then. That is why she told you of its existence. Each race has one or more representatives on the Council. Currently there are twelve members. Legend has it that there were once a great deal more. Witches, Weres, Vampires, and Goblins you may already know about. Yes?”

I nodded. Goblin kind was something only mentioned in the texts I had but I wasn’t about to tell her that.

“What you don’t know about is Dwarves, Drauger, Dvergr, Gargoyles, Fae, Mer folk, and others. I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to who the others may be. I can tell you that the Were have more than one representative on the Council. They are selected two ways: hereditary and by appointment. If your Grandmother is on the Council you are the next one to take the position unless your mother is able. Is she?”

“Teegan is not fit. Aunt Camilla kept her locked away in that sanitarium for years. They fed her so many pills and other medicines that she barely knows what year it is now. Grandmother and the healers are working with her. When I saw her recently she could barely say my name. She, like Camilla never finished her Magick training. Her power is gone. She won’t ever be as I remember her from childhood.” I hung my head and stared at the floor.

“So that would be no. What about Camilla’s daughters, your cousins?” Anastasia sounded very serious.

“Winter and Autumn are still getting over the loss of their mother and stepfather. As part of the investigation I talked to Winter. Camilla admitted to killing Harrison and all the others. Washington thinks she hired the Missionaries to do it for her. It would explain how she got involved with them in the first place and how none of the murders looked like murders. Trust me when I say the State Police investigated when each one seemed to die. I don’t think they have been told about the Council, even though they are older than me.”

“That sounds like a fun conversation you had.”

I blew out a breath. “Yeah. Fun. The fact that we lost Camilla’s body or she got away didn’t help.”

“She has to be dead. No one could have survived a hit from those fireballs.”

“Maybe. I might have if it was me. There are spells that allow the user to defend against most anything if you know how to use them properly. She could have learned. Regardless, there is an APB out for her and the remaining Missionaries of Death. As you well know.” I motioned toward the computer stations.

“True. So as I was saying. You may be the heir to the Council. Those that are appointed only get that way when a hereditary member has no heirs or is killed unexpectedly. It happens. When I was on…” Ana held up her hands as if to stop me.  “When I was associated with the Vampire rulers in Russia, the representative was an ancient named Clearchus. I have no idea if he survived the Purge or was killed. If he’s still around you need to watch your back. He’s about as trustworthy as your Aunt.”

“You didn’t mention Dragons. Are they on the Council too?”

“No. Dragons are not of this world. They come from somewhere else. Since you are age you were told of the doors to other worlds? Or is that something only the Vampires are aware of?” Ana leaned forward and looked me in the eye. I could feel her at the back of my mind but ignored it. She was just testing me, again.

“Still testing?” I smiled at her.

“A girl’s got to have options. I’m a Vampire, remember? We like to have back up plans. It’s a cultural thing. Check with any Vampire on the planet and they will have at least one way out of any current situation they are in. Even me. It’s how we’re wired.”

“Dragons?” I looked back at her.

“Dragons. They come from another world or universe. Some say many worlds and universes. It depends on who your listen to. I wasn’t really keeping any of this secret from you Agatha but everyone takes certain oaths when they get information such as this. Secrets make the world turn around.”

“And they come through the ways? The hallways of the Universes?” Ana gave me another sharp look

“They do. Portals and doors exist both naturally and artificially. There were several such doorways in our old cities. What has happened to them is a mystery. They might be how the Dragons get here but I think there are many other ways. How do you know about the halls?”

I debated with myself. Should I tell her of my summer adventure? “Grandmother.”

“OK. Does that answer your question about the Council?” Ana looked at me funny. I don’t think she believed me about the Halls.

“So they gather and do what? Negotiate?”

“Yes. They are the ones that make the laws and rules that the Witches Council enforces. They are the real power on this planet.” That statement alone blew me away. Grandmother Blackmore was the Queen of the world!

3 comments:

  1. This just gets more intriguing with each snippet. Hurry up June and get here. When in June might we expect something hummmmmmmmm??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just gets more intriguing with each snippet. Hurry up June and get here. When in June might we expect something hummmmmmmmm??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto you are definitely for a raid by MAs lawn fairie folk if the book is not produced forthwith

    ReplyDelete