The Athena Lee Chronicles

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Here is this weeks Free Short Story. Prancer!

Prancer!

By

T S Paul




  I was sound asleep when I first heard it. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tappitty tap. I blinked my eyes a few times and looked over at my digital clock. Three AM? What by all the Gods is that noise?

“Cat is that you doing that to make me more insane?” I didn’t even look in her direction. I just stared at the ceiling.

“It’s not me. I thought it was you! I was getting ready to throw something at you.”

The noise started up again. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tappitty tap. Both Cat and I turned our heads and tracked in on the sound. It was coming from Fergus’s barn.

“If he’s doing this to piss me off again, I swear it will be tiny Unicorn steaks for lunch!” Cat had sat up and was glaring at me.

I clicked on the bedside light and instantly regretted it. “Ugh, light.” I rubbed my eyes and stared at Cat for a moment. The noise started up again. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tappitty tap.

“Fergus! What in the nine hells are you doing in there!” I stood and walked the three steps or so over to his barn. Not bothering with the door I opened up the top and peered inside.

“Hey, I’m naked in here!”

“You’re always naked. Stop using that as an excuse. What in the name of Elton John are you doing in there?”

I looked down into the barn and he had cleared a space in the middle for a dance floor. There was actually a disco ball hanging from the loft. That wasn’t the strangest thing in the barn, however.

“What have you done to yourself?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know exactly what I mean?” Cat tapped me on the shoulder.

“What has he done now?” She had gotten out of bed and was staring at the barn.

“Take a look for yourself.”

Cat pushed past me and peered down into the barn. “HAHAHAHA! He’s your Unicorn, but that’s one of the funniest damn things I’ve ever seen. She was still laughing as she put on a robe and left the room.

My normally white with blue hair Unicorn was now pink with Violet hair and sparkles! “What happened to your Mohawk? Are those hair extensions? Where do you get hair extensions for a Unicorn?”

“I have resources.”

“Why oh why are YOU pink and sparkly?”

“It’s for my dance routine?”

“Why are you dancing?”

“I got the idea from my new favorite TV show?”

“What TV show? Are you wearing makeup? How did you put lipstick on, you don’t have hands?” He looked like some sort of cartoon show horse.

“It’s called Prancing Pony Makeovers. I found it on late at night. They take older ponies and give them a new look.”

“Really? Why are you dancing?”

“I saw that on another show. Dancing with the Rodeo Stars. It looked fun!”

“That’s it no more late night TV for you! I’m calling Grandmother and canceling your phone.”

“I won’t dance anymore at night I promise! Don’t take my only source of entertainment, please?”

Looking down at his pitiful made up face I smiled and caved. “Fine. No more dancing I mean it. I’ll let Cat eat you if you do.”

Cat came back into the room and got back into bed. “Is he going to stop?”

“Yup. He promised this time. You can eat him if he starts doing it again.” I laid back down and turned off the light. As my eyes closed I thought to myself where did he get the makeup from?


________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed the small short story this week. Here's an update for my writing this week. The current project Book 2 of The Federal Witch is coming along. I have 32,600 words written and I'm almost half way there. Look for the finished book to be somewhere between 60-70 thousand words. I have signed a contract with All Chaos Press to produce Audio books of the Fed Witch series and most likely the Athena Lee books too. Look for those before Christmas this year. On a personal front my cold is almost gone and I'm back on track. My wife and I intend to do some traveling but my laptop come with us so no pauses in my schedule.  On a side note I got the idea for the story above from a Youtube Video. Check this one out.





No comments:

Post a Comment